Solid Waste Agency of Lake County
Pumpkins, Pumpkins, and More Pumpkins!!!
There will be opportunities for residents to drop-off pumpkins to be composted. That’s Mother Nature’s oldest form of recycling!
Why compost pumpkins, you ask?
- They are full of nutrients that are good for the soil.
- They are 90% water.
- Most of the pumpkins processed in the United States are grown in Illinois – let’s keep the water and those nutrients here!
- Landfills are the 3rd largest producers of methane gas.
Please – Pumpkins only
- No candles, yarn, plastic eyes and mouths, or other decorations. Please remove these before you come.
Saturday, November 4, 2017
- Village of Gurnee, 235 O’Plaine Rd., Gurnee, IL 60031, Saturday, November 4, from 9 am to 12:00 pm
- College of Lake County, Parking Lot 3, Grayslake, Saturday, November 4, from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm
Sunday, November 5, 2017
- Mundelein Park District, Community Park Sled Hill, Mundelein, IL from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm (in conjunction with the Park District’s Pumpkin Drop event)
And don’t forget, SWALCO continues to promote backyard composting for residents and families. We make compost bins and accessories available at half the retail cost, as we have supplies. If you have a bin, you could compost your own!