VILLAGE OF ANTIOCH

BOARD OF TRUSTEES, REGULAR MEETING
Municipal Building: 874 Main Street, Antioch, Illinois

May 19, 2003

 

CALL TO ORDER The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was called to order by Mayor Maravelas at 7:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building: 874 Main Street, Antioch, IL.
ROLL CALL Roll call indicated the following Trustees were present: Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner. Also present were Mayor Maravelas, Attorney Long and Clerk Rowe. Absent: Pierce.
MINUTES 1/21/03 Trustee Porch would like to amend the minutes from the January 21, 2003 meeting, approved at the May 5, 2003 meeting.

A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Hanson to reconsider the approval of the minutes from the January 21, 2003 approved at the May 5, 2003 meeting. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Hanson to amend the January 21, 2003 minutes to reflect her question regarding GLP and the issuance of permits. Trustee Porch would like the following included in the January 21, 2003 minutes on page 4313 under 03-03-02:

Trustee Porch asked if approved, does GLP have the right to move dirt. Robert Silhan, Director of Planning, Zoning and Building, said ďno, all permits must be in place first.Ē

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

ANITA DYER A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Porch to appoint Ms. Anita Dyer as member to the Redevelopment Commission. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

KEVIN SCHOUDEL A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Hanson to appoint Mr. Kevin Schoudel as member to the Redevelopment Commission. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

R03-14 A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve Resolution No. 03-14, entitled, Resolution Honoring Memorial Day honoring Memorial Day. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CLERK ROWE Clerk Rowe announced that Clean-up Day in the Village has been scheduled for June 14, 2003. All items must be curbside by 6:00 a.m. For more information, residents should call Waste Management at 847-395-2020.
CITIZENS Mayor Maravelas recognized citizens wishing to address the Board.

Jodi Gott, Pine Hill Drive resident, commented on Orchard Street extension being a major thoroughfare for eastside residents. She said, police are needed at Depot and Main more often especially during the times when the road is closed for special events.

Roland Schleusener, member of the Antioch Clock Tower Committee, updated the Board on the committeeís progress. He thanked the Village Board for their consideration.

James Cole, Chestnut Street resident, thanked Clerk Rowe for reading the Memorial Day Resolution. He said the American Legion will be putting about 800 flags out on flag day.

PZB03-05 The following Planning and Zoning Boardís letter of recommendation dated May 16, 2003 regarding the proposed Final Plat for Heron Harbor Unit 7; 42 single-family lots; PZB03-05 was reviewed by Trustee Porch:

The Planning and Zoning Board reviewed the proposed final plat at their regular public meeting on May 8, 2003, following posting of the agenda on 4/16/03 as required.

The applicant, Diamond Development / KLM Builders, requests approval of the Final Plat of Subdivision of Heron Harbor 7, the last phase of the Heron Harbor PUD. Kim Meier and Steve Thelen presented the proposed plat.

Bob Silhan, Director of Planning, Zoning and Building, presented his report dated April 29, 2003. The report indicates that the proposed final plat is in substantial conformance, with some modifications, to the PUD plan as approved by Ordinance Number 90-6-29. The primary difference is the doubling of the size of the stormwater detention basins over that designed in AD1990. Mr. Silhan is recommending approval subject to:

∙ Approved final engineering

∙ Adequate base material for the private roadway accessing Lot 167.

∙ Agreement from the developer to replace the asphalt paving on the south side of Bowles Road, west of Edgewater Lane.

∙ A contract between the Pedersens and Thelen Sand & Gravel for the completion of sidewalks in Unit 2, and/or that no building permits be issued in Unit 7, until the Unit 2 sidewalks are completed, inspected and approved by the Village.

The applicants had no objections to the suggested conditions. They also indicated that they have a signed contract with Mr. Al Pedersen; the sidewalks in Unit 2 will be completed sometime this summer.

Following the Boardís discussion, Carol Keller moved, Bob McCarty seconded, to approve PZB03-05, Final Plat of Subdivision, Heron Harbor Unit 7, (last phase); 42 single-family lots; Diamond Development / KLM Builders, subject to the conditions in the staff comments of April 29, 2003. Roll call vote: YES: 6; Ipsen, McCarty, Cole, LaReese, Keller, and Baba. NO: 0. The Motion Carried.

VB MOTION A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Larson to approve the Planning and Zoning Boardís letter of recommendation dated May 16, 2003 regarding the Final Plat of Subdivision, Heron Harbor Unit 7, 42 single family lots; Diamond Development (Thelen/KLM), PZB03-05; subject to the recommendations as stated in their letter and authorizes the Village Attorney to draft an appropriate ordinance. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 4; Larson, Caulfield, Porch and Hanson

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Turner.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

METRA PARKING Staff Engineer Jim Keim updated the Village Board regarding the Metra parking lot and temporary signage. Mr. Keim reported that completion of parking lot and landscaping should be done mid-June. Trustee Porch asked if two-hour parking signage can be put on strip of parking space (with the exception of the strip closest to Depot Strip Mall). Mayor Maravelas asked how long before the coin boxes are installed. Administrator Haley said the coin boxes are in and he anticipates the installation should be done within two weeks.
FRIDAY FEST Trustee Porch said that during the FridayFest event days, there will be a childrenís toy exchange program begins June 20, 2003. She said that donations are needed to start off program. Toys can be dropped off at the Antioch Chamber of Commerce office.
ORCHARD STREET Trustee Porch said the temporary closing of the Orchard Street extension will be closed June 13-15, 2003. Closing dates will be posted in the June Village newsletter. Trustee Hanson said there was some miscommunication with the carnival and the closing of the street. At that time, he spoke with Bob Silhan, Director of Planning, Zoning and Building and he suggested implementation of some kind of permit. Permitting the events, with no fees being charged, would enable village staff to put signage in the state right-of-way. Administrator Haley said that whoever is requesting the closing of the Orchard Street extension, such as the 885 Club, would apply for a permit with the Village. We can then address the request internally and make sure all the departments are involved. Trustee Hanson said would like to set this topic up for discussion in committee.
RAILROAD CROSSINGS Trustee Porch said there is information in the June Village Newsletter regarding the temporary closing of the railroad crossings. Crossings will be closed for two weeks at a time beginning at the Route 83 Crossing and moving south.
TRUSTEE PORCH Trustee Porch on behalf of the Village, thanked those who volunteered their time to help make Antioch the place that it is. Volunteers worked in the wetlands and the planting areas. Trustee Porch also thanked the Antioch Garden Club whose members have done a lot of planting this year also.
TRUSTEE CAULFIELD Regarding the Orchard Street extension closing, Trustee Caulfield said that he would like to call attention to the fact that he thought he addressed the issue regarding signage and road closures and things about a year ago. He was disappointed that whatever was decided on, did not happen this time. In his discussions with the Village Administrator over how or why that happened, he thinks it reinforces what he heard Trustee Hanson mention regarding instituting some kind of permit process. He didnít hear us take action, and he doesnít know what the procedure would be. Trustee Porch said that we put the item in committee first to find out what other communities do and how they handle these situations. Trustee Caulfield said that he wanted to reinforce; 1. Itís all about safety and he thought we had serious concerns regarding safety on the roadway as a result of the lack of setup for that weekend; 2. Retailerís were impacted in a negative way as a result of the road closure. He knows that several retailers tried with varying degrees to get signage put up even after the road was closed with no apparent notice ahead of time. 3. Safety again. Trustee Caulfield said that he thinks it was a real unsafe situation initially. It got better, but he wanted to stress it.
SMITH ENGINEERING Staff Engineer Jim Keim reviewed the memorandum dated May 15, 2003 regarding the April invoices from Smith Engineering that reviews the invoice amounts and the escrow balance/fund source.
B & F TECHNICAL A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Porch to authorize payment of $15,033.21 to B&F Technical for Wal-Mart building review. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

BANK ONE A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Larson to authorize payment of $50,025.00 to Bank One for the 1998A Bond Interest payment. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Larson to authorize payment of $53,287.50 to Bank One for the 1998B Bond Interest payment. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CLAIRE HORTON A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Porch to authorize payment of $11,200.00 to Claire Horton for the property located at 433 Orchard Street. There is one final payment left remaining. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

PAYNE & DOLAN A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Larson to authorize payment of $24,844.12 to Payne & Dolan for the 2002 Street Improvement. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SMITH ENGINEERING A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Porch to authorize payment of $17,941.95 to Smith Engineering for the EFPA Water / Neumann. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Porch to authorize payment of $14,324.35 to Smith Engineering for the EFPA Sewer / Neumann. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

AUTHORIZE PAYMENT A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Porch to authorize payment of the remaining accounts payable, without payment to Shore Galleries, Inc. in the amount of $1,872.00 and as prepared by the Village Treasurer. The check warrant is in a different format this time due to a printer problem. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MANUAL CHECKS A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve the manual checks written to date for the water and sewer, payroll, Dolly Spiering Fund and general accounts. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

INTER-FUND LOAN A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Larson to approve repayment of the following inter-fund loan balances that were on the books prior to April 30, 2002;

Repay From Repay To Amount
General Fund SS/IMRF $58,444.00
General Fund Liability Ins. $33,515.00
General Fund Street $32,536.00
General Fund Capitol Project $4,000.00
SS/IMRF TIF $10,233.00
SS/IMRF Hotel/Motel $2,859.00
SS/IMRF Fire/Safety $15,817.00
Police General $18,088.00
Arbor General $2,166.00
Hotel/Motel Police $13,511.00
General Police $221,403.00

These inter-fund payments are required to balance dollar amounts that were charged to various accounts and remain on the books as loans. These inter-fund loan balances were carried over from previous audits. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CASH TRANSFERS A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Larson to ratify general fund cash transfers for the fiscal year 2002 - 2003 as follows:

Transfer From Transfer To Amount
General ESDA $5,048.31
General Police $962,624.18
General Arbor $7,814.04
General Street $349,924.59
General Corp. Bonds $102,533.77

These are transfers that either have no revenue to support them, or funds that existing revenues do not support expenditures. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

TRUSTEE CAULFIELD Trustee Caulfield said that he notices the Village Administrator is now listed under his committee. He asked the Village Administrator if he had anything to report. Administrator Haley said that weíve worked on the fund transfers will help the auditor as he prepares the audit. He said, ďas you know, we met with him, and heís ready to start the audit post-haste.Ē
SAFE CROSSING Trustee Hanson said that about two years ago, the Mayor and Mr. Alan Knutsen discussed the Safe Crossing concept plan. Mr. Knutsen has taken it upon himself to volunteer his time toward this plan. Trustee Hanson said that Alan Knutsen is doing a tremendous job. Mr. Knutsen updated the Board regarding his recent meetings with Senator Adeline Geo-Karis and Executive Director of the Illinois Commerce Commission, Scott Wisener who was very receptive to the Safe Crossing concept. Staff Engineer Jim Keim said that they had a very good meeting with Mr. Wisener and his staff. He said, ďWe asked them for help in making our crossings safer and permission to test this concept in the Village of Antioch. We asked them to help us establish testing procedure so the test would be valid and have results that we could build on. We also asked for funding to help make this test a reality.Ē Mr. Keim said the Director of the ICC didnít reject the concept on itís face and it appeared they liked this concept and they agreed to set up a meeting between the Village and the ICC Engineer. Mr. Alan Knutsen said he believes the concept plan is making progress and he will update the Board as it evolves. The Mayor and Board of Trustees applauded Mr. Knutsen for his efforts.
EVA-MARIE HUTTON A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Porch to authorize the hiring of Eva-Marie Hutton as a Telecommunicator with a starting salary of $14.28 an hour. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SPEED LIMIT SIGNS Police Chief Fagan reviewed his letter dated May 14, 2003 regarding speed limit signs on Harden Street and on North Avenue from Trevor Road to Morley subdivision.

Following discussion, a motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Turner to reduce the speed limit on Harden Street to 30 mph (between Route 59 and Hillside) and westbound North Avenue between Trevor Road to Morley subdivision be reduced to 35 mph as stated in his memo dated May 14, 2003. Clean up of obsolete signs is included in the motion. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

PARK/REC CAMPUS Park Board Chairman Chris Leinhardt and Park Board member Jim Weber gave a brief presentation regarding the proposed parks and recreation campus. Mr. Leinhardt said the pool is at least sixty years old and we are in need of updated facilities. The Park Board would like to build a facility that would address our current needs as well as the future. He said that the Park Board reviewed and received presentations from three architectural firms, they did surveys and visited other park facilities. The power point slide presentation showed average size facilities that are located in surrounding areas and the kind of facility the Park Board is aiming for. In addition to the kind of facility that would best suit the village, location must be determined. The Park Board is recommending that PHN Architects firm for the parks and recreation campus when the Village is ready to move forward on this project. Mr. Neil Pollak of PHN Architects said he believes the next step, is to have them prepare and submit proposals and define the scope and phases of the project. They can also help with survey process. Trustee Larson said that Chris Leinhardt, Laurie Stahl, Parks and Recreation Director and Park Board members did a great job in researching and selecting the architect firm.

When asked if this facility would be a park district facility, Mayor Maravelas stated this will be a parks department and use funds strictly from sales tax. There was a discussion on whether we take action at tonightís meeting. Mayor Maravelas said that he doesnít believe we should take action tonight and we should wait to see what the funds are. Mayor Maravelas said that we have a slight problem for funds at this time and the Finance Chairman concurred. Mayor Maravelas agreed that we will wait until PHN prepares a proposal before moving forward.

RAFFLE LICENSE A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Hanson to issue a raffle license to the Antioch Lions Club and waiving the fee. Raffle ticket drawing will be held on August 3, 2003. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

LIQUOR LICENSE A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Turner to issue a liquor license to the Antioch Chamber of Commerce & Industry for the ďTaste of SummerĒ being held July 17 - 20, 2003, waiving fee. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

PASS: 1; Porch.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

PARK PERMIT A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to issue a park permit to Vicki Netzel, APD Dispatch - Pedersen Park - May 31, 2003. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

COMBINED PARK Antioch Township Board member Claudette Skvarce updated the Village Board regarding the status of the combined Township/Village Park. She said they anticipate to complete the purchase of property and that a meeting will be scheduled soon. Trustee Larson said itís been a wonderful fit between the Township and the Village. The Township have been excellent to work with. We are moving forward on the combined park, itís just been slower than they have anticipated.
LAKE STREET SIDEWALK Trustee Caulfield asked staff if there was an update on the Lake Street sidewalk program. Staff Engineer Jim Keim said they met with the surveyor which showed some ownership issues, that they are currently working on a solution for. Mr. Keim expects the final version of the survey later this week and weíre moving forward. Trustee Caulfield asked when the concrete would be poured. Mr. Keim said that weíre still thirty days out from going to bid.
SENIOR CENTER Trustee Larson updated the Board on the Senior Services Committee meeting held last Tuesday. Trustee Larson said that she, along with Trustees Pierce, Porch and Turner were in attendance and there were about 20 - 30 members from the Senior Center in addition to the Senior Citizen Council members were at that meeting. She said the seniors expressed concern about what they read in the paper and they felt that perhaps the Village was trying to bail out on the Senior Center. There were four Village Trustees there, all four Board members, (which would be the majority) were in agreement that they will support what the Senior Center people want to do with that building.
ATTORNEY Attorney Long read aloud the following ordinance:
O3-05-21 A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve and publish in pamphlet form an ordinance, 03-05-21, entitled, AN ORDINANCE PROHIBITING POSSESSION AND USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS BY MINORS. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

Trustee Caulfield asked Attorney Long if Chief Fagan had any input regarding the drafting of the ordinance. Attorney Long said that he had. There was a brief discussion regarding the teen court procedure and if this would go on the individuals permanent record. Attorney Long said that it would not, teen court doesnít usually go to the court system.

R03-15 Attorney Bob Long read aloud the Resolution regarding the dedication of a plot of land for the new Village Tower Clock.

Trustee Larson said that she thinks the Clock Tower is a good idea, but when we put in Orchard and Main in the Resolution, she has a problem with it. Per the resolution, it appears that weíve already decided where the location is, and she doesnít know that this Board had a discussion on where it would go. Mayor Maravelas introduced Roland Schleusener. Mr. Schleusener said the Clock Tower Committee met and walked around the town with the clock maker and they thought this location was the very best place. Mayor Maravelas said with this location, the clock would be seen from three different angles. Trustee Larson said that she was concerned with making this the absolute location included in this resolution. Mr. Schleusener said the clock maker wants to know if weíre serious about this project, and naming a certain location indicates to the him that we are. He went on to say that the plans for the clock are all drawn up, and the clock maker has been here on several occasions. Mayor Maravelas said that for the Clock Tower Committee to solicit for donations, a location should be named. Trustee Larson said that sheís not sure which corner of Lake and Orchard Street their planning. Mayor Maravelas said that it will be at this corner, the one that Village Hall stands on would be a better location. Attorney Long said a final vote will be taken at a later time. Trustee Porch asked if we could change the language. Robert Silhan, Director of Planning, Zoning and Building suggested we add at a prominent downtown location at or near... in the second paragraph after the twenty-four feet square. Trustee Hanson asked that since weíre this far advanced with the clock tower he asked this be included part of the master plan for the moratorium for the downtown and make that part of that study.

A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve Resolution No. R03-15, entitled, A Resolution stating the intent of the Village to dedicate a plot of land for a new Village Tower Clock, as amended with the suggested language. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 4; Larson, Caulfield, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 1; Porch.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

TRUSTEE CAULFIELD Trustee Caulfield said that he wanted to use this opportunity to bring up something that has been troubling him a little bit. In the course of studies, he understand that the fairness often no longer applies in this country and the mass media doesnít necessarily give opposing views of a subject. He said they can perhaps give one opinion that might favor or not favor a topic. But they donít have to necessarily present or give time to opposing views. He said that this is his understanding and given that, and given the fact that at the last board meeting, he started his conversation by saying that he has a very high respect for the senior citizens of the Village of Antioch. He said, that his comments were addressed at making sure that the senior citizens of Antioch and the future senior citizens of Antioch get the best that they can get for their money.

Trustee Caulfield said that his conversation centered around the fact that he did not feel the process was allowing that to happen at this stage. He went on to say that one of the things that he asked for at the last meeting was, and he remembered asking for it, was to have the opportunity to meet with senior citizens. He wanted to be informed of when a senior citizen meeting was going to be set up so he could have an opportunity to talk to them. He said for some reason, he didnít know why, and that he had been busy, he didnít get notice there was going to be a senior called until after it was called and he got a 24 hour notice. The meeting was already posted and he couldnít make the meeting. Trustee Caulfield said that heís pointing this out because he thinks thereís a chance that some folks walked away from that meeting thinking that he had some view that was counter to the seniors best interest. To add to that, he said, during the presentation tonight regarding safe crossing, when he made a comment at the last meeting that he was concerned at the last meeting that this train was rolling down the track and that our staff, had already been working on it and there were already plans. He said, essentially itís an unwritten, unapproved plan at that time to go ahead the senior center as it is. Trustee Caulfield said that he cautioned that we shouldnít head in that direction. He said that itís a democratic process and the vote was such that it was five to one and others might follow Trustees votes differently, thatís ok. With that in mind, he said that itís important to use this safe crossing concept to point out that he thinks these tax paying citizens of Antioch, including the senior citizens who also pay taxes, who also are involved in having their utility bill hit with additional tax money related to this senior citizen money, would be used to expand the senior center. The fund is not paid back yet. The dust hasnít even settled on that issue and he suggests that perhaps as all the residents of Antioch, including senior citizen residents, are headed toward that crossing, toward that intersection, that there is a train headed that way that has, as we heard at this meeting this evening, has the majority support on this Board to do something with senior center without still having the seniors having the opportunity to explore other options. Trustee Caulfield suggested that the light should be a yellow right now and that all the citizens of Antioch should be well aware of might potentially be happening with the funds related to the senior center. Trustee Larson said the funds were left to the senior center at the bequest of Dolly Spiering, this is not tax money, this is money left from an elderly woman to a group of people that she loved. She left them that money to do with what they felt was best. She said that the seniors havenít spent a nickel of that yet, itís ongoing at the committee meeting. Trustee Larson apologized to Trustee Caulfield, although she didnít call the meeting, Trustee Pierce called the meeting, she thought Trustee Caulfield was aware of it. She said that Trustee Pierce didnít ask her for a time that would be good, he sent out the notice. Trustee Larson said that two Trustees that werenít on the committee were in attendance and she didnít believe there was any ulterior motives. She said that she thinks thereís a real philosophical difference of whose money that is, she feels it belongs to the seniors. Shesaid, ďIt was given to them, it was taken away, the village took it and then we repaid it. Now, you say the money hasnít been paid back, well it has been paid back as far as the seniors are concerned they have it.Ē The utility tax was implemented to pay back that loan from the villageís standpoint. Trustee Larson said, ďthereís a majority that expressed our views at that meeting and we feel itís the seniors money. Itís not our money, we happen to be the people who are holding it at this point and thatís all.Ē Trustee Turner said that doesnít believe it was the seniors fault that the money disappeared. The money was paid back and the people of the Village of Antioch, paid back that money and their still paying it back. The money is in that account for them and it was always their money. Trustee Caulfield said that while he may not be in the majority position, he hopes this is not another situation on mis-spent funds.

MAYOR MARAVELAS Mayor Maravelas said ďthat as the Mayor he supports Trustee Caulfield.Ē He said since May 2001 our first priority was to restore the money that was spent. This Mayor and the Board reached out to the taxpayers of the community and asked them to restore something that this Board did, allow to mis-spend 1. 6 million dollars. After debate and discussions we enacted a 5% utility tax, we restored the money, but we havenít repaid the banks yet. All of sudden, this Board allowing the citizens spend the money, because five individuals want to do that. Why are the seniors citizens so stubborn when weíll put them in a beautiful campus that will accommodate, not only 65 or 70 and over, it will accommodate, infants to their age. This is what Mr. Caulfield and this Mayor is all about, to do the right thing, thatís all weíre asking.Ē Mayor Maravelas said, ďdonít spend the funds until itís all paid, let the taxpayers know that we are free of our obligation, we got the money, take the 5% utility tax off their bills that they get every month. Get it out of the way and then plan for the future, not for three individuals. Plan for the future of the Village of Antioch.Ē Trustee Larson, said there were 30 people at that meeting. Mayor Maravelas said the village has 10,500 people. Trustee Larson said that itís not the Villageís money. Mayor Maravelas read an email that he received from a concerned citizen that said ďthey were disturbed when the village government thinks that they can spend the seniorís bequest of Dolly Spiering as they see fit. While there are little reasons why the village must spend this money, itís to be done in accordance with Dollyís bequest to the seniors.Ē Mayor Maravelas called on Antioch Township Claudette Skvarce, present in the audience, who said that it still comes down to the original intent, she didnít give it to the Village of Antioch, she left it to the senior citizens. Mayor Maravelas said it was left to the Antioch Senior Center, and the Village is the landlord to that center. Ms. Jodi Gott, Pine Hill Drive resident, said that although we canít ask Dolly Spiering, but she is sure that when Dolly bequeathed the money that she had no idea that the senior center dollars was controlled by Village. She said the money should go strictly to the seniors and the village should have no part of it. Trustee Larson said ďthat when the will was read, the contact person was Paul Howard it was not Marilyn Shineflug or Tim Wells, it was Paul Howard because that was who she considered to be the head of the Antioch Senior Center. He did not work for the Village of Antioch at that time, we found about it after the fact because he came to us and said sheís given 1.5 million dollarsĒ. Trustee Larson said that our Board voted for that money to be held in a separate account not to be used for anything except senior center improvements or what they want to use it for. She thought weíve gotten past all this. Jodi Gott, Pine Hill Drive resident, said that she didnít want to offend anybody, but if we donít have the confidence that money thatís earmarked for the seniors is going to go there, what confidence does the village residents have with this park complex that is proposed with sales tax dollars. How do we know that the money is going to go to that and that later down the road youíre going to decide to put the sales tax money somewhere else because itís controlled by the Village. Trustee Caulfield said that one of the issues is a twisting of stories and there was no attempt to say that the money was not going to be used for the seniors, just like the money would not be used for a rec center. Trustee Caulfield didnít understand Ms. Gottís point. He went on to say, ďjust so heís not misquoted or misunderstood again, my goal is to have the seniors to end up with something thatís good for them and for the future seniors of Antioch. If it comes down to this board voting that their best interest, according to this Board, are served by expanding that senior center, thatís whatís going to happen. Thatís the way it is.Ē He said that itís important that the silent train be given some noise so the community knows whatís going on and thatís why heís bringing it up. He also said he has no special interest for that money. Thatís the seniors money for the seniors of the Village of Antioch today and future. Trustee Caulfield said he thinks there should be other options explored that hasnít been done. Evidence by what he heard happened at that last meeting, it doesnít look like thereís any serious attempt to head in that direction now so thatís why he brought it up again. Trustee Hanson said this is a loaded cannon and it can be debated for twenty-four hours for the next ten years.

Trustee Hanson said ďthe problem that he sees is that weíre looking at a short term fix that nobody knows what the cost is. If this project does happen, we have to keep in mind, that the seniors may not even stay there, because we own the property. So if theyíre willing to improve that property on the concept that someday they could be moved out of that property because of expansion reasons, we may need that room for different services. Thereís nothing in stone that says that location has got to be a senior center for the next two hundred years.Ē Trustee Larson said thatís why she asked for a resolution guaranteeing those folks, for at least two years we guarantee they can stay in that building. Trustee Larson said the senior citizens listed reasons why they want to stay in that location. The first five were absolutely key. Itís location; itís not a busy street; the proximity to senior housing; the proximity to the downtown shopping area; all the reasons they listed Trustee Larson said she canít imagine being better reasons. Trustee Hanson said those are all short-term reasons. Trustee Larson said the seniors know right now that they donít want to be incorporated in a recreational campus where the traffic, people traffic alone will be horrendous. Trustee Hanson said ďif weíre going to spend the kind of money to improve that building, letís do it, if you so please, knowing that it could change. We could end up with that building and still move those folks away after they spent the money they really didnít have to spend. He said, obviously what the Mayorís indicating is heís willing to move that center someday. Heís not say necessarily to the recreation center.Ē He said, weíve only seen one plan and he would like to see the options himself. Trustee Larson said the seniors are getting three estimates. She said that Trustee Hanson is missing the whole point, itís their money. Mayor Maravelas said that itís the villageís property. Trustee Larson said that as long sheís on the Board she will not move them out of that building. Mayor Maravelas asked who said anything about moving anyone. Trustee Larson said Trustee Hansonís comments sounded like a veiled threat to her. Mayor Maravelas said she was wrong. Claudette Skvarce, asked if when the money was discovered missing, would the insurance company pay that fund back. Attorney Long said the bond only covers theft and since there was no theft and the money didnít disappear it would not have been covered by insurance. Instead the money was spent on other village facilities which would have been paid for out of some form of tax on village residents anyway. He said realistically when you look at the larger sense, it doesnít feel good, but from a legal point of view, itís reasonable to repay by tax dollars. Ms. Skvarce said that another question that she has is, if this expansion ends up costing them $400,000 or $500,000, they still have a million dollars, has the Village asked the seniors to put the million dollars in another senior facility in another area? Mayor Maravelas said ďno, that he went personally to them and said look this new direction that weíre taking. We donít want your money, we donít want your $1.6 million dollars, keep it. But this is the direction the village will take for next generation. What Iím doing here, Claudette, is, if you look since 1989, this village done work on piece meal. Never done anything new. They took old buildings and they spend and spend on remodeling. Iíll give you an example, this administration doesnít want to go through this ever again. Weíre going to take it, weíre taking the boardís vote, weíre going to take procedures, weíre going to take staff ideas and weíre going to go forward. Thatís why Iím proposing this park.Ē Mayor Maravelas said that he went to the senior center more than three times and talked to them. He told them if they want to stay, they stay, but weíre going to move forward. Mayor Maravelas said his concern is that the building is old and what theyíre proposing to do is going to cost money and itís money mis-spent. Mayor Maravelas said that he will not put his signature on money mis-spent anymore in this village. This is why the Chairman of Finance is concerned. Pine Hill Drive resident said if the Board is saying letís get the best bang for their buck, why are we not doing the same for the park board. She heard of only one company that they already decided on and theyíre going to come back with a proposal, why arenít we putting it all out? Park Board Chairman Chris Leinhardt said the park board interviewed three architects. They interviewed firms and made a recommendation on the most qualified. He said thatís the job of the Park Board in an advisory capacity.

Ms. Gott said that she is asking them to get the most bang for buck, wouldnít the same principles apply. She believes the same standard should every project. She believes itís the seniors money, and if itís the route they want to go, itís their money.

EXECUTIVE SESSION A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Porch to move into Executive Session at 10:00 p.m. to discuss pending litigation, possible purchase of property, personnel, possible action. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

RETURN A motion was made by Trustee Caulfield, seconded by Trustee Larson for the Mayor and Board of Trustees to return from executive session and resume the regular meeting at 10:35 p.m. with no action taken. On roll call the vote was:

YES: 5; Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Pierce.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

ADJOURN A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Caulfield to adjourn the regular meeting of the Board of Trustees at 10:38 p.m.
 
Respectfully submitted,

____________________

Candi L. Rowe, Clerk
Return to Village Board Info