VILLAGE OF ANTIOCH

BOARD OF TRUSTEES, REGULAR MEETING
Municipal Building: 874 Main Street, Antioch, Illinois

August 18, 2003
7:30 p.m.

 

CALL TO ORDER The public hearing before the Board of Trustees regarding the Nielsen Annexation was called to order by Mayor Maravelas at 7:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building: 874 Main Street, Antioch, IL.
ROLL CALL Roll call indicated the following Trustees were present: Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner. Also present were Mayor Maravelas Attorney Long and Clerk Rowe.
CONTINUE HEARING A motion was made by Trustee Turner, seconded by Trustee Hanson to continue the public hearing regarding the Nielsen Annexation to 7:00 p.m. on October 20, 2003. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

PASS: 1; Porch.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CLOSE HEARING A motion was made by Trustee Pierce, seconded by Trustee Larson to close the Nielsen Annexation Public Hearing at 7:31 p.m. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CALL TO ORDER The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was called to order by Mayor Maravelas at 7:32 p.m. in the Municipal Building: 874 Main Street, Antioch, IL.
ROLL CALL Roll call indicated the following Trustees were present: Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner. Also present were Mayor Maravelas Attorney Long and Clerk Rowe.
MINUTES 4/7/03 A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Larson to approve the minutes from the April 7, 2003 meeting as presented. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Pierce, Larson, Porch and Hanson.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

PASS: 1; Turner.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 4/21/03 A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to approve the minutes from the April 21, 2003 meeting as presented. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Pierce, Larson, Porch and Hanson.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

PASS: 1; Turner.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 5/19/03 A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve the minutes from the May 19, 2003 meeting with the following corrections:

On pages 4373 through 4377 correct Trustee Turnerís name as listed under the roll call vote.

On page 4377 under LIQUOR LICENSE On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Larson, Caulfield, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

PASS: 1; Porch

THE MOTION CARRIED.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 2; Pierce and Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 6/2/03 A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to approve the minutes from the June 2, 2003 meeting with the following corrections:

On page 4386 under PZB03-04 CONT. Trustee Larson said that she has seen the final draft and she was in agreement with all of the changes.

On page 4388 under ROUTE 173 CORRIDOR, Trustee Pierce thanked Trustee Turner and Village staff for a wonderful job done the other night.

On page 4388 under JEFF DIVER GROUP, He said that he thinks we have an good handle on that and that weíve stopped that expenditure first.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 6/16/03 A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve the minutes from the June 16, 2003 meeting with the following correction:

On page 4398 under TRUSTEE PIERCE, Trustee Porch said that the seniors are not asking to be cut loose from the village, and if they choose, they are not required to do that.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 7/2/03 A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to approve the minutes from the July 2, 2003 meeting as presented. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 2; Pierce and Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 7/21/03 A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to approve the minutes from the July 21, 2003 meeting with the following corrections:

On page 4411 under TRUSTEE PORCH, She said she called Dr. Skidmore to make him aware these items were on the agenda and that Mayor Maravelas assigned Redevelopment as a standing committee of the Village Board of Trustees.

On page 4407 under DOWNTOWN MANAGER, Both Trustee Larson and Trustee Porch said they understand that, but believe weíre not ready to advertise yet.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 8/6/03 A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Pierce to approve the minutes from the August 6, 2003 meeting with the following correction:

On page 4419 under EXECUTIVE SESSION ...to go into executive session at 7:03 p.m. to discuss the selection of the economic development specialist - downtown manager position.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSENT: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MINUTES 8/11/03 A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve the minutes from the August 11, 2003 meeting as presented. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Pierce, Larson, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

PASS: 1; Porch.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

WATER TOWER BIDS A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to accept into the record the bids received at 10:00 a.m. on August 12, 2003 for the cleaning, re-coating and miscellaneous repairs to the interior, (both wet and dry) and exterior of 500,000 gallon water tank. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

ROGER SORENSEN Clerk Rowe read aloud the letter of resignation, dated June 5, 2003, from Redevelopment Commission member Roger Sorensen.
ROBERT SILHAN A motion was made by Trustee Pierce, seconded by Trustee Hanson to re-appoint Robert Silhan as Interim Administrator until September 8, 2003. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

COMMUNICATION Clerk Rowe read aloud the letter of appreciation from Liz and Jim Schmehl. The Schmehlís said they enjoy receiving the community calendar, enjoyed the FridayFest events and the Antioch Taste of Summer. They also thanked Mayor Maravelas, the Board of Trustees, Antioch Fire Department and Rescue Squad, and village staff that help make Antioch such a caring community. Mr. And Mrs. Schmehl also thanked Billie Horton and Maureen Ryan.
VILLAGE STAFF A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Larson to ratify the hiring of Mary Baer and Kathy Scroggin, village hall office staff. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CLERK ROWE Clerk Rowe reviewed the Boys & Girls Club of Lake County Open House announcement. The Open House will be held on August 28, 2003 at their new facility located at 724 South Genesee Street, Waukegan, IL.

Clerk Rowe reviewed the SWALCO Bulletin announcing the Electronic Collection Event for Lake County residents. The event will be held on September 13, 2003 at 500 Corporate Woods Parkway.

Clerk Rowe announced the Safe Crossing Concept Plan is now posted on the Village web site home page.

MAYOR MARAVELAS Mayor Maravelas congratulated the 9 & 10 year old girls softball team who recently won State Championship for the second year in a row. Also, the Antioch High School Girls Dance Team recently won State Championship. New signs will be ordered and posted at the entrances to the Village. Both teams will be invited to attend a future board meeting for recognition.
CITIZENS Mayor Maravelas recognized those citizens wishing to address the Board.

Mr. Andrew Warnes, said that he is here on behalf of a number of Windmill Creek Subdivision residents. Mr. Warnes asked the progress of the development of the former HOD Landfill site. He said there is considerable interest among their group to see the site developed. He also asked that a crosswalk be added at the intersection of Amsterdam and Depot Street. Mr. Warnes said that in his profession, he works for a manufacturing facility for water treatment and his specific job is negotiating water treatment quality standards. He has been in contact with the USEPA and heís been able to check with them on the progress of this project. He understands that we are very close in getting final approval the USEPA and IEPA for the development of the site.

Trustee Larson introduced Township Trustee Claudette Skvarce who updated the Village Board on the status of the combined park venture. Mrs. Skvarce updated the Board regarding the status of the grant application for the park site. On August 14, 2003 the State approved their transfer of property for the grant. They are going to appraise the property on Rena Avenue. Trustee Larson said that she has proposal plan from E2 that would be exclusively sports fields and possibly a tot lot. A formal proposal has not yet been presented. Trustee Larson will provide Mr. Warnes with a copy of the proposal. Trustee Pierce said he didnít think enough could be said for the efforts made by both Trustee Larson and Township Trustee Claudette Skvarce concerning the park site. He said if you do the math, theyíre bringing in a minimum of 110 acres of recreational space for the village and the township residents. He also said thereís a potential for having a 148 acres of recreational space. They have a done a lot of hard work on this and they deserve a round of applause.

Margaret Cole, Chestnut Street resident, thanked Billie Horton, Special Events Coordinator and staff for a wonderful job done on FridayFest. Trustee Larson thanked Mrs. Cole for her assistance with FridayFest.

Jodi Gott, Pine Hill Drive resident, approached the Board regarding a policy being established for citizens wishing to address the board. She said there has been confusion in the past as to whether residents need to make arrangements to be on the agenda, or if they will be called on if present in the audience. Mayor Maravelas said that he believed Ms. Gott was not being fair. He said that she has been on the agenda many times in the past. Mayor Maravelas discussed the situation a few weeks ago, when we had a busy agenda, and didnít get out of here until midnight. He said if the item is not really important, we had other business that we have to finish that was very important and that he always allows everyone to speak. Ms. Gott said that is not correct. She said that this has started about a year ago, but it specifically came to light at the meeting when Michael Haleyís letter of resignation was read. There were many people present in the audience that wanted to speak, citizens wishing to address the board was on the agenda and no one was allowed to speak. Ms. Gott said she called to get on the next agenda and was told that it was full. She didnít find this fair, but would be fine if those rules are applied for every single meeting. Ms. Gott asked the Board to set a protocol for rules on how this is going to be handled in the future. Attorney Long said generally speaking, the fact is that the ordinance does lay out the citizens wishing to address the board is a part of the agenda. However, when you have a situation where thereís too many people or too much business, it is the prerogative that the Chairman of that meeting to limit any particular area. The alternative is to try to limit the extent to which people could speak and that becomes more difficult to manage and usually rouses more hard feelings. He went on to say that under this particular circumstance, the Mayor asked him if he could limit it that night because of the extended agenda and he told him yes he could because this was an unusual circumstance. Ms. Gott said that she thought that would be fine if there was an announcement made at that meeting so everyone understood, but, thatís not how it came away. It came away that the Board clearly did not want to hear from the citizens on that particular subject that evening. She said there have been other evenings too, she was just using the last meeting as an example. Trustee Porch said that this was brought up at a past meeting and the Mayor said that he would put a committee together to establish policy. Trustee Turner said that it is sacred for the people to be able to come here and speak and maybe we have to set guidelines for a certain time to speak. She said that not allowing someone to speak at a meeting is wrong. Trustee Pierce said that he agrees with Ms. Gott and he thinks this issue has been going ever since the Mayor and new Trustees got elected to office. He said that well over a year ago he proposed to the Mayor the Countyís format for their meetings and how they handle speaking and protocol. At that time, he put it on the agenda and they took slack for trying to restrict everybody speaking and setting rules on how everybody speaks. Trustee Hanson agreed that we should discuss this in committee. Trustee Larson asked what committee should this item be placed in. She said free speech is the cornerstone that this country is built on and for a citizen not to be able to speak at all is absolutely wrong. After further discussion, it was the consensus of the Board to hold a Committee of the Whole meeting earlier in the day, at 4:30 p.m. some time after September 8.

Ms. Marg Gaa, David Street resident, discussed the condition of David Street. She said the street is greatly in need of repair. There is a lot of traffic on the street and the condition of the road, she believes, is a hazard. Staff Engineer Jim Keim said the street is not on this yearís road program. He said that we have a number of streets in poor condition and he will look into the road again. Mayor Maravelas said this street will be top priority in next yearís program.

Claudette Skvarce, Township Trustee, introduced Township Board member Kevin Schoudel who also has been working very hard on the combined Village/Township park.

ROUTE 173 CORRIDOR George Sakas, Senior Planner, discussed the Route 173 Corridor Study. He said that we are on track for a presentation of a draft plan before the Planning and Zoning Board on September 11, 2003 with a tentative date for a September 29 Special Village Board meeting.
DOWNTOWN PLAN RFP Senior Planner George Sakas said the Route 83 Downtown Corridor Plan has three components for this Board to consider. 1.) The RFP for consultants; 2.) IDOT Corridor Grant application that is due August 29, 2003; and 3.) Second phase of the three-phase moratorium. He said the Planning and Zoning committee met on August 6 and reviewed the three documents line by line. The ordinance regarding the moratorium is on tonightís agenda for first reading.
ATTORNEY Attorney Long read aloud the following ordinance.
03-08-35 A motion was made by Trustee Turner, seconded by Trustee Larson to waive the second reading, approve and publish in pamphlet form an ordinance, 03-08-35, entitled, ORDINANCE INSTITUTING A PLANNING PERIOD AND MORATORIUM FOR THE DOWNTOWN AREA AND ILLINOIS ROUTE 83 CORRIDOR.

Trustee Porch discussed the implementation of Phase Two. George Sakas said that Phase One moratorium ordinance specifies the western boundary of Section 16. This specifies the eastern boundary of Section 17, and they are one in the same. If a parcel or group of parcels has been omitted, they would go back and include those parcels. There was discussion regarding the term infrastructure being included in the ordinance. Trustee Pierce said the term refers to more than roads, it includes power lines, cables, etc., so he would like the term to remain in the ordinance.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SMITH ENGINEERING Trustee Caulfield said that since he has been out of town, he asked Trustee Porch to take over the Finance Committee for this evening. Trustee Porch reviewed the memorandum from Staff Engineer Jim Keim, dated August 13, 2003 regarding the Smith Engineering invoices for the month of July.

A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Pierce to authorize payment of $17,376.49 to Smith Engineering, Invoice number 31734 for the Phase I Route 173 Corridor Study. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

AUTHORIZE PAYMENT A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Pierce to authorize payment of the remaining accounts payable as prepared by the Village Treasurer. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

MANUAL CHECKS A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Caulfield to approve the manual checks written to date for the Water & Sewer ($85,361.76), Payroll ($16,444.73), Dolly Spiering ($1,605.48), General ($170,432.24) and Antioch Police Pension Funds ($2,971.96). On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

TREASURER REPORTS Trustee Porch thanked Village Treasurer Lori Folbrick for her hard work and for getting the financial reports done. A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Turner to approve the financial statement for the month June 2003 as prepared by the Village Treasurer. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

A motion was made by Trustee Porch, seconded by Trustee Pierce to approve the financial statement for the month of July 2003 as prepared by the Village Treasurer.

Trustee Pierce asked if we could have a financial report that shows the year to date and what our total financial obligations are. Clerk Rowe said that Lori Folbrick, Village Treasurer, will be working on generating some different reports for the Board. She anticipates the Board receiving these reports in the near future.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 5; Pierce, Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

ABSTAIN: 1; Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

ACHS BON FIRE After reviewing the letter dated August 4, 2003 from Public Safety Inspector Lee Shannon, a motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Porch to approve the request from ACHS to conduct a bon fire in conjunction with their homecoming activities. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SCADA SYSTEM Staff Engineer Jim Keim updated the Board regarding the SCADA proposals. Mr. Keim asked the Board to approve the proposal received from SCADAware Inc., in the amount of $141,000.00 and would like authorization for staff to negotiate a contract for the turnkey system. The contract will come back to the Board for approval. Trustee Pierce said that this item was originally under the engineering committee and his committee reviewed the proposals received. He explained the differences between the four proposals. Trustee Caulfield said the budgeted amount for this item was somewhere around the $80,000 range. He asked if this item was a multi-year project. Mr. Keim said that it is not a multi-year proposal. Trustee Caulfield said that he wanted to call the Boardís attention to the fact that this item is about $60,000 over what we budgeted for and that we should take a serious look at it before any action is taken on it. Attorney Long discussed doing a transfer from another fund. Mr. Keim said that he believes that all the money is in the capital improvement fund #56. Robert Silhan, Interim Administrator, said that he believes the funds are in fund #56, he can clarify that before approving the contract. Trustee Pierce said that itís prudent at this time to table discussion on this item until September 8 to give staff time to check the appropriation ordinance and the budget. Mr. Keim said that weíre not spending any money tonight, weíre simply trying to get approval for staff to work with the SCADAware Inc. vendor. Trustee Turner said that itís essential to have the SCADA system in place. Trustee Larson said that she believes this provides security as well efficiency in our water system. Mr. Keim said that it does have that ability to let you know when our well sites are accessed.

A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Turner to authorize staff to work with the SCADAware Inc. vendor. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

AUTHORIZE BID A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Larson to authorize public work staff to advertise for bids for three (3) public works department vehicles. Two pick-up trucks and one full sized dump truck. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SECURITY PAINTING INC. A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Porch to award the bid to Security Painting Company, Inc. for their bid of $188,440.00 for the 500,000 water tank near Route 173 and McMillan Road.

Mayor Maravelas discussed the interest from the car dealers who would like to lease advertising space on the water tower. Trustee Larson said that she would have to think that over. Mayor Maravelas said it would bring revenue to the village. Mayor Maravelas said we have four car dealerships with an excess of $150 million dollars a year worth of business that brings $1.5 million dollars of sales tax to the Village. He believes the Board should take a look at this request. Trustee Pierce would like to this placed in public works committee to discuss the details of the proposals. Trustee Larson said why would it be just the car dealers, if weíre opening it up, what if the local tattoo parlor wanted to advertise? Trustee Larson said we are a municipality, and we really need to think about this. Trustee Hanson said that we need to discuss this further, to set rules and procedures, there are so many different things that we would have to have the Village Attorney research. Mayor Maravelas said that we lease space to cellular towers, why not lease to major car dealers that send a lot of money to our Village if they want to advertise and pay for it. Trustee Hanson said that we really have to think about this, there is only one water tower where it may make sense to do that on, he would hate to see this done in a subdivision and being in someoneís back yard. Staff engineer Jim Keim said that regardless what the Board decides to put on the water tower, it still needs to be painted. Trustee Hanson said that he would like to make sure there are measures in place in the contract to insure there are no problems with over spray and things like that. Trustee Caulfield said that he doesnít recall this item in the budget, and he could be wrong, he remembers a $250,000 item in the budget for work on a water tower, and that water tower in question in the budget was located on Toft Street. He said that heís wondering what happened. The last item was $60,000 over budget and now weíre talking another $200,000. He said he knows there is money that is meant for capitol projects, but it seems like there is potential for some decisions that are going to rip through that in a hurry and heís not aware on how this got to this point. Jim Keim said the painting of the water tower was at Public Works Superintendent Bill Smithís direction. He said the money budgeted for one tower may be changed to this tower and the public works department has decided to move ahead and maintain that tower (the tower located on McMillan and Route 173) at this time. Mayor Maravelas said that we would be spending the budget money on the McMillan Road tower instead of the Toft Street tower. Trustee Caulfield said that he understands that, but heís been involved in fairly lengthy discussion over the budget and the McMillan Road tower never came up, it was just the Toft Street tower. He said that he was just trying to figure out how we got here and heís hearing Mr. Keim say that apparently in the last couple of weeks we decided that it was McMillan Road tower. Mr. Keim said this has been months and months in the works. Trustee Caulfield said that he wants to caution the Board that weíre talking about $200,000 on this tower, and we havenít addressed the Toft Street tower yet, and the Superintendent of Public Works thought it would take $300,000 at that time. Mayor Maravelas said the reason we havenít addressed the Toft Street tower is because the fact that with the new SCADA system, we donít know the water quality, this has to be monitored for six months to a year, or longer, in the event that we do have a major fire, weíre not going to know until the SCADA system is in place. He also said that he was approached by Bill Smith, Public Works Superintendent, that itís not a good idea to take the Toft Street tower down at this time, although we have the money in place. So, if that is the case, then we will go ahead and take care of the other problems that will arrive in the next couple of years.

If we leave the Route 173 water tower as we left the Toft Street tower itís going to take twice the money to maintain it. Mayor Maravelas continued by saying that we took the initiative because of the SCADA system, because we donít know how the system works, and we donít want to cut the water off from the village, so weíre going to go forward with the SCADA system, and then we go onto the other phases. Trustee Caulfield said that he wasnít questioning the decisions, he was just saying that throughout the budget process, it was budgeted money for the Toft Street water tower, not for the Route 173 water tower, so the Board will be making a decision to modify the budget to take the money away from that tower and put it to this one. Trustee Larson said this was a public works decision. Trustee Pierce discussed the number of towers that we have in the village and the need for repair on many of them. He said that he agreed with Trustee Caulfield and that we should have a plan in place, similar to the Road Program, and use it as a guideline. He said that someone from engineering should report on the water towers and make recommendations for maintenance and have a priority list in place. Mayor Maravelas said the first priority was the Toft Street water tower, and with the new SCADA system, we have to install that before do anything to any of the water towers, but at the same time, if weíre not going to do anything for a year and half, then the money appropriated for that tower, letís go on and do what the other tower needs. Staff engineer Jim Keim said that they did do an assessment on the water towers. He said, there are no problems with the towers, this is regular maintenance, every fifteen or twenty years, you have to paint them. He said that public works went out and assessed the two towers, on North Avenue and McMillan Road, reports came back to do McMillan Road water tower first. He also said, the water tower on Toft Street may come down, we donít know if we need the storage or not, and rather than maintain it at this point, knowing that it may come down, public works has recommended spending the money on the tower that needs the maintenance and on the tower that we know weíre going to use.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 4; Larson, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 2; Pierce and Caulfield.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SUMMER DAY CAMP Trustee Larson read aloud the letter written to Parks and Recreation Director Laurie Stahl regarding the summer day camp program. Ms. Kelly Siperko said that we have a wonderful summer day camp program and directors Amanda Wilson and Dawn Morley do an amazing job running the program. She also said that all the counselors are friendly and helpful, and wanted the staff to know her appreciation on a job well done.
PARK PERMITS A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Hanson to issue park permits to:

Maricelly Acosta - Pederson Park - August 23, 2003

Sarah Derkson - Williams Park - August 23, 2003

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

BLOCK PARTY REQUEST A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch to approve the Block Party requests for:

Oakwood Knolls - Linden Lane - August 31, 2003

Woods of Antioch - Ridgewood Drive - September 6, 2003

Antioch Estates - Midnight Pass - August 31, 2003

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

TAG DAY REQUEST A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Pierce to approve the Tag Day request from:

A.L.L. Parent Network - Red Ribbon Week; October 17-19, 2003.

On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

CORLANDS Trustee Larson discussed the parks and license committee meeting held earlier regarding the Corlands Corporation for Open Space. Trustee Larson said Corlands is a not for profit group that helps municipalities in land acquisition. Trustee Pierce said that Corlands has done work throughout Illinois. He said they are finishing up a grant and thereís a possibility to do one more town and do a study of open space and park space needs that would be free of charge. Trustee Larson said they are a wonderful resource that we can utilize, if for nothing else at this point, to have them conduct a free study for us and evaluate what our needs are. Antioch Township Trustee Kevin Schouldel said that the Township Board members have met with Corlands and he wondered if the village would be interested in sharing the costs of hiring a grant writer. District #34 President Steve Turner said that his experiences with grant writers is that they get a certain percentage of the grant. Trustee Larson said that a grant writer is something to consider. No action was taken regarding the grant writer discussion. Both Trustee Larson and Trustee Pierce looked for consensus of the Board to direct staff to send the appropriate letters to Lake County, authorizing Corlands access to Village information. The board will ratify this action at the next village board meeting.
2004 FISHING TOURN. Trustee Larson said that she was approached by the Fox Lakeís Community Development Director, Claude LeMere, regarding the 2004 In-Fisherman Profession Walleye Trail Tournament on the Chain of Lakes. The tournament will be held April 21 - 23, 2004. This is a national organization and the tournament has national television coverage. Our area will be featured on three different television shows. Trustee Larson said this would be a pro-am tournament that means there will be approximately 100 professional fisherman and 100 amateur fisherman that will be in town with an average stay of nine and five days respectively. They are asking the Village of Antioch and Village of Fox Lake, along with the local Chambers to become involved. The only financial requirement would be placing a two page ad in their magazine at a cost of $6500.00. Trustee Larson said the four entities could divide this cost four ways and sell off ad space. She said they are planning to launch from Halingís Resort off Grass Lake Road. She said this is an opportunity for us to get national recognition and have our community spot-lighted as a destination for professional fisherman. Trustee Larson said that she was not asking for action tonight and that Mr. LeMere would be glad to give a presentation before the Board in the near future. Trustee Porch asked if the Fox Lake Village Board and Chamber committed to this expenditure. Trustee Larson said that Fox Lake had a committee meeting and it goes before the full board on August 19. Trustee Porch said she would take this information to the Chamber Board of Directors at their meeting in September. Mayor Maravelas said this was a good opportunity for the Village and the Chamber. Consensus of the Board was to have Claude LeMere make a presentation before committee of the Village Board.
ALLEN BELLI Village Attorney Bob Long discussed events taken place to date regarding the senior center addition project. He said that we have to approve a plan before we can go out to bid, therefore, the Board should remove the authorization for the advertisement for bids and then approve a contract with Allen Belli.
HOLD ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID A motion was made by Trustee Pierce, seconded by Trustee Larson to hold the advertisement for the request for bids in abeyance until Allen Belli, or the architect, completes the architectural drawings. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SENIOR CENTER A motion was made by Trustee Pierce, seconded by Trustee Larson to authorize the Village retain Allen Belli and Associates to complete all documents necessary to go out for bid on the Antioch Senior Center addition.

Trustee Caulfield discussed the invoice received in the amount of $21,000 and that there was no contract or agreement in place regarding Mr. Belliís services. Trustee Caulfield said that he thought Mr. Belli offered to donate his services to the senior center, then he saw a bill come through. Interim Administrator Bob Silhan said that he understands that, but Mr. Belli has been very clear from outset that he was willing to donate the services as it relates to the conceptual plan and through the architectural stage, but other items such as plumbing, structural, heating and air conditioning, he would have to farm that out and that would have to be paid for. He said that he has donated a considerable amount of time. Trustee Caulfield asked if we need a contract before authorizing retaining Mr. Belli.

The following amended motion was made: A motion was made by Trustee Pierce, seconded by Trustee Larson to authorize staff to enter into an agreement with Allen Belli and Associates to prepare bid documents at a cost not to exceed $21,000. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

SMC MEETING Trustee Pierce asked Jim Keim, Staff Engineer, or Attorney Long to update the Board regarding the Stormwater Management Commission hearing held on August 14, 2003. Attorney Long said the Stormwater Management Commission held their formal hearing regarding Sequoit Creek on August 14, 2003. He said that both he and Staff Engineer Jim Keim spoke at the hearing and the idea that they tried to convey is that much of the factual information that the consultants and Stormwater Management put together were actually inaccurate. It involved things like suggesting, the draft they had seen, was that the Village had combined sewers, and that hasnít been the case. The other main point that they tried to bring across was that the conclusion of the Stormwater Management had reached that itís own WDO Ordinance was insufficient to solve the problem at Sequoit Creek was really a suspect conclusion because the WDO doesnít work in other communities. The other communities that they were talking about were completely developed communities, such as Highland Park and Waukegan. Trustee Larson said the part that she commented on was the septic systems that so many of the people in those areas were talking about that are adjacent to Sequoit Creek. She said that she suggested that perhaps the County needs to look at providing sewers to those people as a way of protecting the water quality in those areas. Trustee Larson told Attorney Long that he did an excellent job presenting our case. Trustee Turner said that her concern was the fact that they wanted to raise the flood level. If they do this, it will put many people who live around Sequoit Creek in the flood plain, when theyíre not in the flood plain right now. They donít flood and probably never will flood. She said that this may cause a hardship on those people.
TRUSTEE PIERCE Trustee Pierce said that it has come to his attention that some of our contracts have a tendency to expire and we donít know until three or four months until after they expire. Trustee Pierce would like to discuss this further at a committee meeting. He would like Interim Administrator Bob Silhan to place this item in Village Administrator Probstís follow-up file.
ATTORNEY Attorney Bob Long reviewed the following ordinances.
03-08-36 A motion was made by Trustee Turner, seconded by Trustee Larson to approve and publish in pamphlet form an ordinance, 03-08-36, entitled, AN ORDINANCE APPROVING ZONING AMENDMENT FOR EAST HALF OF FORMER HOD LANDFILL PIN 02-09-300-012; PZB03-07. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

First Reading: An Ordinance replacing Village Cod Sections 9-1-5 and 9-1-12, replacing them with a new Section 9-1-5. Attorney Long read aloud the preamble and Senior Planner George Sakas reviewed the ordinance in more detail. This item will be placed on the September 8, 2003 Village Board agenda for consideration.

EXECUTIVE SESSION A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Caulfield for the Mayor and Board of Trustees to go into executive session at 9:50 p.m. to discuss pending litigation, possible purchase of property, personnel and the review of executive session minutes. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

RETURN A motion was made by Trustee Larson, seconded by Trustee Porch for the Mayor and the Board of Trustees to return from executive session and resume the regular meeting at 10:15 p.m. with no action taken. On roll call, the vote was:

YES: 6; Pierce, Larson, Caulfield, Porch, Hanson and Turner.

NO: 0.

THE MOTION CARRIED.

ADJOURN A motion was made by Trustee Hanson, seconded by Trustee Porch to adjourn the regular meeting of the Board of Trustees at 10:16 p.m.
 
Respectfully submitted,

____________________

Candi L. Rowe, Clerk
Return to Village Board Info