The Village of Antioch, Illinois is a non-home rule community governed by a Mayor-Trustee form of government. The 8.23 square mile village was incorporated in 1892. The Village is located in the northern part of Lake County, bordering the Wisconsin State Line, approximately fifty miles northwest of the City of Chicago and twelve miles west of the City of Waukegan, County Seat. The Village lies within the rapidly growing suburban area of the Chicago metropolitan region. Nearby communities include the Villages of Lindenhurst, Lake Villa, and Fox Lake. Antioch is situated at the head of the Chain O’ Lakes, a chain of nine interconnected lakes tributary to the Fox River which begins fifteen miles to the south. The Chain O’ Lakes State Park, a 1,514-acre nature preserve and 3,230-acre conservation area owned by the State of Illinois are both within a short distance. The County Forest Preserve District owns large wetland areas in the east part of the Village designated for the preservation and maintenance of wildlife and plant growth.
In 1995, the Village had annexed the large land areas lying east of the Village and extending approximately three miles to U.S. Route 41 and the Illinois Tri-State Tollway. State Route 173 extending west to the Village has been widened and improved through the development area.
In the last year, more than 17 permits were issued for new residential construction, an indication that residential housing development is on the rise. Permit revenue has increased 131% over 2009 revenue when the economic collapse stymied development. Infrastructure improvements within the east area consist of streets, water and sewer mains, new wells, water storage capacity, a fire station, schools and parks which are all in place.
The cost of infrastructure improvements in large part have been paid by developers and financed by means of Special Service Area Districts within the Village. The population of the Village has increased from 8,788 at the 2000 Census to more than 14,430 at present. The Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission (NIPC) projects the population of the Village to be approximately 22,730 by the year 2020.
Major operations include police safety, highway and street maintenance and construction, building code enforcement, public improvements, economic development, planning and zoning, waterworks and sewerage services and general administrative services. Fire safety is provided by the First Fire Protection District which is a volunteer department. Organized in 1912 by 25 members of the community, the department has grown to the present membership of 85 dedicated volunteer paid on call members. The Village of Antioch’s over 8.21 square miles includes over 5,033 housing units for 14,430 residents.
First settlement 1832
Date of Incorporation 1892
Form of Government Trustee-Mayor
First village hall was built November 16, 1916
Geographic Location Lake County